The Wayfarer Trust (SC 027212) is the idea of Murray Watts, co-founder of Riding Lights Theatre Company in York and author of many books and screenplays, including The Miracle Maker and the best-selling Lion Bible for Children. Murray’s website: www.murraywatts.co.uk
Murray purchased Freswick Castle, a magnificent Scottish laird’s house standing on the coast a few miles south of John O’Groats, on the northerly tip of Scotland. He and others have made it their home and have created a remarkable haven of hospitality.
Over the past sixteen years the Castle has hosted visual artists, writers, musicians, actors and directors from around the world. Many people, from all walks of life, have rediscovered the importance of creativity in their own lives and found inspiration for a wide variety of vocations and for the enrichment of culture.
One current objective is to achieve a full renovation of the Castle to provide further accommodation and to extend the work of the Trust.
The key aims of the Trust are:
- To enable artists of all disciplines to discover and develop their gifts and so deepen their impact on contemporary culture
- To provide an environment for the creation and performance of artistic works including theatre, music and film-making, and to enrich local cultural life through the arts
- To foster a closer relationship between the worlds of the arts, sciences, politics, business and churches, and to connect all aspects of life and learning
- To affirm the inspiring work of film-makers, writers, TV directors and producers, composers and performing artists at work in the media today, and to offer a haven of encouragement and renewal
- To be a resource for school children and the next generation, and to help young people discern their own pathway and possibilities for influencing culture.